The gas contains heat that causes an increase in the temperature of the earth’s surface causing sea levels to rise. This can cause pollution of aquifers and farmland, and an imbalance in the ecosystem. We have been implementing a lot of macro measures to prevent climate change and protect the environment. However, you can do the smallest things right at home to contribute to preserving the living environment.
Let’s explore 10 ways to reduce climate change in this article!
1. Reconsider your diet
Agricultural and industrial land is very harmful to animals and the environment as a whole. These industries pollute the air and water. You can start solving this problem individually by doing the following:
- Stop eating meat. Did you know that to produce 0.5kg of meat, factories use 9 m3 of water?
- Buy food from local farms. This will help reduce air pollution in two ways: you don’t have to travel long distances to buy things, and goods don’t have to travel a long distance to reach your kitchen.
- Grow vegetables at home. Even if you have a small apartment and not a house with a garden or backyard, you can always grow tomatoes and greens on the windowsill.
2. Invest in start-ups that protect the environment
You can support eco ideas today to save the planet tomorrow. Even just 10 USD is enough. Today, there are many startups with the goal of making the planet cleaner and better.
3. Always think about water
Today, nearly 60 million people face food and water crises due to global warming. How can we maintain water balance?
- Set up a water system in the bathroom for reuse. The water will be filtered and used in the toilet to flush.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth, washing dishes, or washing your hair. The earth and wallet will silently thank you.
- Use solar energy to heat water.
4. Planting trees
Buying seedlings on the market is not the only way to do it. If in the fall you walk along a grove, park, boulevard, or just a street lined with oak, chestnut, and pine trees, don’t be lazy and stoop to pick up some seeds, maple seeds, or Chestnut.
At home, plant an oak tree, a seed, or a chestnut in a plastic cup or pot. When transplanting young plants, it is important not to damage the roots. The sapling must be kept indoors for about 5 years, after which it can be safely moved out into the fresh air.
Do you think this seemingly silly act helps save the ocean in the middle of a global disaster? If so, imagine that if only 1% of the population of our planet planted at least one houseplant, our air would filter 74 million more trees than it does now. It makes a difference!
5. Using crafts
Food: Try to cook without using semi-finished products as much as possible. Also, buy the big ones to reduce the amount of waste.
Body products: You can make your own shampoo, hair conditioner, cream, and toothpaste. Only coconut oil can replace body cream and face wash.
Products for cleaning: Glass cleaners, bathrooms, ovens,s and other cleaners can be cleaned using only natural ingredients. Just use baking soda and vinegar!
6. Protect flora and fauna
Due to the progress of mankind, all kinds of animals have lost their habitat. Perhaps you have seen birds bathing in oil tanks, or deer wandering the outskirts of settlements simply because they have nowhere else to go. If you have some space, be hospitable to animals in need. You can make your home more livable for animals by doing the following:
- Do not use pesticides.
- Hang a birdhouse and a drinking bowl that always contains clean water and food.
- Let snakes, spiders, bats, and other creatures live. The existence of these animals means that your ecosystem is healthy.
- Use an electric or manual lawn mower, not a gasoline-powered lawn mower.
Compost is not a delicious method of growing cucumbers anymore. This is also a great way to save money and improve the condition of the land in which you live. Instead of throwing leftovers in the trash, compost them. After a while, you will have a great organic fertilizer, which you can use to fertilize your vegetable garden.
8. Consume less, recycle more
There is one big island in the Pacific Ocean: Garbage Island. You can imagine that it covers a surface area of 1.6 million square kilometers.
But we can help avert this catastrophe. Everything is simple: the less you consume, the less you emit to the environment. Try not to buy extra food and clothing as well as:
- Deliver unnecessary clothes to recycling centers or sell them. Maybe you’re bored with the t-shirt, but your neighbor’s son will love it. Torn and damaged things can always be recycled or renewed.
- Use transport together. Fewer cars mean fewer exhaust fumes.
9. Use reusable bags
Do not use shopping bags. In the UK, around 8 billion plastic bags are used every year, which means more than 130 plastic bags/per person/per year. These plastic bags are annoying and you usually just stuff them in the cupboard under the sink. You can sew a beautiful bag yourself, using stitching techniques, for example. Then you’ll see your friends and family follow your lead – an effective way to save the environment.
10. Harnessing new sources of energy
Natural resources will be increasingly depleted if people do not find new sources of fuel. With the development of science and technology, experts have discovered new sources of energy that are safe for the environment such as energy from the sun, wind, heat, waves, ethanol from plants, hydrogen from the process, and hydrolyzed water.
The above are measures to overcome climate change that experts have researched, analyzed, and proposed to apply in practice.
The environment is our life, so it is necessary to act immediately and apply practical measures to reverse pollution and prevent possible climate change. When the environment is green, it will bring comprehensive and sustainable development to the economy, society, and people’s lives.
The modern world nowadays is filled with toxicity and pollution caused by mana industries and this needs to stop. We can’t control climate change but we can minimize it by protecting the natural environment and raising awareness of how critical climate change can affect the Earth.
Top News hopes this article can help you learn more about effective ways to reduce climate change and become more aware of nature!
Maybe you are interested: